Having just dined on a delicious pork loin with a polenta and kale accompaniment, the first thing I did when I got home was to figure out how to make this dish in my own kitchen. Packed with protein and incredible nutrients, this naturally gluten-free dish is a winner in multiple ways.
One of the most delicious ways to prepare a pork loin is to brine your pork for two hours to overnight. Add delicious herbs like rosemary, and don't scrimp on the garlic for an extra nutritional boost.
If you decide to get fancy with this dish, you can impress your guests (like they did at the restaurant) by layering your sliced pork loin atop the polenta and kale. It's lovely, appetizing, and incredibly good for you!
Here's how you can do this at home:
1 pork loin
2 cloves of garlic, smashed
1 orange, sliced
2 bundles fresh rosemary
1/4 cup kosher salt
1. Place pork in sealable plastic bag of at least 1 gallon capacity. Add ingredients to the bag, then cover pork with water. Place in your refrigerator to brine.
2. After at least two hours (but you can let it set longer), remove pork from brine bag and either grill on medium heat for about 8-12 minutes. Or place in your broiler, turning periodically for approximately 15 minutes. It's okay if the center is still slightly pink.
3. Remove from oven and let sit for at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
Polenta & Kale
6 cups water
2 teaspoons salt
1 3/4 cups yellow gluten-free cornmeal
3 tablespoons butter
1 head of raw kale
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon butter
1. Heat 1 tablespoon butter in large skillet on medium high heat. Add minced garlic and cook until soft. Add kale and sauté for 5-8 minutes, or until wilted. Set aside.
2. Boil 6 cups of water in saucepan. Add salt and gradually add gluten-free cornmeal, whisking as it cooks. Let cornmeal cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. As it begins to set, add butter and stir
3. Place cooked polenta in bowl, and mix in kale. Serve.
Photo by stephendepolo/Flickr