I love chicken liver pate, and now I have a new favorite recipe. I usually make a double batch, one for the fridge, and one for the freezer, and almost always have some ready to eat. It's my favorite quick healthy snack. I hope you enjoy it!
1/2 cup or 8 Tbsp butter
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 pound chicken livers (clean and trim off yellow or stringy parts)
2 Tbsp capers, rinsed
2 anchovy filets, rinsed
1 large pinch red pepper flakes
1/2 -1 cup red wine
Freshly ground salt and pepper
- Heat 4 Tbsp butter in sauté pan over low heat. Add onion and sauté until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add livers, capers, anchovies, and pepper flakes, and cook until livers are browned on all sides and then about 5 more minutes so the insides are cooked.
- Remove livers and transfer to food processor. Allow onions and other seasonings to remain in the pan.
- Add wine and reduce by cooking until only a few tablespoonfuls of liquid remain, about 15 minutes.
- Add well-seasoned onions to livers in food processor with remaining 4 Tbsp (or more, to taste) of butter. Pulse until mixture is well blended.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate until needed, or remember that it freezes well.
Personal recipe of Dr. Deborah